Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Free to Be

One party I am very sorry never came to fruition was the Free to Be You and Me Party based on Marlo Thomas' fantastic film from 1972 (coincidentally, my birth year).  I made a table runner before Shindig Spree even started with this party in mind.  I pictured the film projected on the side of the house at twilight  paired with a ice cream social.  I found these glass ice cream cone containers for this very purpose.


You can watch Rosey Greer singing "It's Alright to Cry".  That one is my personal favorite.  But there is also Alan Alda singing "William Wants a Doll" and, ironically, a young Michael Jackson and Roberta Flack singing "You Don't Have to Change at All".  I will still have this party.  Someday.

3 comments:

  1. We did Free to Be You and Me as a musical when I was in third grade, and my part was reciting a poem. I still have it memorized:
    The Sun and the Moon
    The sun is filled with shining light
    That blazes far and wide
    The moon reflects the sunlight back
    But has no light inside

    I think I'd rather be the sun
    That shines so bold and bright
    Than be the moon that only glows
    With someone else's light.

    I wish I could credit the author. Words to live by. I love that book! I think it affected me more than I even realize now.

    I think it would be a fun party...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We used to watch this film every year on the mammoth green self-contained reel to reel projector. Nostalgia. I purchased the DVD on Amazon and from a young age both of my boys could do a spot-on Mel Brooks. Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, free to be you and me, i believe i had that album, my mom was all about that and now, dammit, i'm singing the song :)

    ReplyDelete