Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

Hey Good Looking, What You Got Cookin'?

For years now I have coveted and struggled with making The Martha's heart-shaped pot holders.  This year I finally conquered it.  You can find the original patterns and instructions right here.


Some helpful tips:  I found a thinner batting that is made specifically for pot holders.  It was much easier than struggling with the thicker, fluffier stuff.  Then I sewed everything together except the edging just like it will appear in the finished project, no flipping or turning inside out.  If it were a sandwich it would look like this:  bottom fabric, batting, top fabric, contrasting fabric as grips.  After I sewed the whole shebang together I trimmed it as close to the stitching as possible.  I also found it was much, much easier to use a regular piece of fabric (two inches wide) versus premade seam binding to make the edging.  It was much easier to fold around the curves.  I did this by folding the fabric in half and ironing, then folding each side in to the center seam and ironing, and then folding that in half one last time and ironing.  Essentially you are creating your own seam binding.  I pinned the edging every inch or so, on both sides before hand stitching the edging on.  It was so fun I did the project eight more times.  They will be parting gifts for my Valentine Crafternoon Delight guests.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! (Doing a little dance now off screen.) These are great.

    ReplyDelete